Friday, September 23, 2011

Keep your hands off my food!




God tested my kindness. I was extremely hungry by the time I arrived work. I bought a slice of rice cake for my brunch. At the pantry, everybody was doing their personal stuff before the class, I sat on the corner. I took out my fork and said, “kain”. I know that you know this simply means, “I'm gonna have my meal now, excuse me.”

I am very sensitive when it comes to my utensils. My husband and I seldom eat on the same plate and he seldom takes whatever I am eating. I like the way he respects me. My officemates are not like my husband.

I asked one of them, “Gusto mo? May tinidor ka?” (Wanna try? Do you have fork?). Then she grabbed MY fork and tried once, then again, and again, and again. She even asked others to try. I went out of the room pretending that I don't mind. When I came back, one of them told me that she was sorry that MY fork fell on the floor.
I don't know but somehow I felt disrespected. Suddenly I remembered I had offended one of my officemates few months ago. She was having her lunch and I interrupted her. I said, “You told me before that you don't usually eat here at the pantry? But you're here.” I said it in a nice tone. It was actually my way of saying “hi”. But she exploded. She began to say a lot of words I wish to forget. Our 'used to be good' relationship was never the same again after that day. After some time, she confessed that she was just in a bad mood and my comment appeared to be a wrong timing. Lesson learned, never interrupt a person while he/she is eating because hunger drives everyone crazy, literally.
Anyway, getting back to my story, what was left for me was a small slice of my rice cake and my fork with strangers' saliva. Since it's already time to go to our respective stations, no one was left at the pantry. Alone, I said to my self, attitude check? - failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment